Friday, May 7, 2021

Perspective

 There is this stretch of the interstate that I travel on during the drive from my kids' schools that freaks me out.  Essentially me and my traffic compadres are driving along on the highway when out of nowhere a group of rogue riders come ricocheting in from our right.  (Okay, in actuality they're yielding onto the highway...but we were there first.)

No matter how many times this happens, I am always unnerved by it.  I feel like the cars coming in from the right are too aggressive and unruly.  I tend to react by hitting my brakes, worried that they will plow right into me.

Well, today while coming from shopping in an area where I typically don't shop, I followed my GPS until it brought me to the highway that I am familiar with.  I approached the on-ramp, proceeded onto the highway, and realized that, yep, you guessed it,  I was now in the position of the rogue riders. Today I was the one zooming onto the highway and causing drivers to take caution.  However from this vantage point, it didn't look the same.  I was simply coming from where I had been to get to where I needed to go.  There was no vengeance.  No wrath.  No agenda.  Just me trying to get home.

It never ceases to amaze me the clarity that comes from seeing another perspective.

No comments:

Post a Comment