Saturday, March 13, 2021

Running Right

Since September of last year I have been running. Three times a week (mostly) I leave in the dark of the early morning and return home in daylight about 30 minutes later.

Saying that I have been running is a miracle in and of itself.  I absolutely LOVE to walk and can walk very fast.  However, after many failed attempts at the act of even a short run, I officially "called it" long ago-

I am not a runner

Needless to say when a friend challenged me last year to begin running, I was shakin' in my boots.  At first, I dreaded even waking up on "running days" and just wanted to get it over with. 'Let me get moving so I can put in my time, get out of breath, and move on' was my thinking.  Then I began to push myself.  'See if you can run longer than five minutes.'  'Okay now see if you make it to the top of the hill without stopping.'  'Now sprint to the end of the road!'  No longer is it a challenge from my friend.  Now it is an inner challenge.  I am challenging myself to do the extra.  To put my all into it.  And whenever I see results (strength, endurance, anticipation) it motivates me to continue.

I've quickly come to realize that there are SO many lessons to be learned from running.  Take today for example.  While running uphill, I was starting to feel gassed and my legs were becoming jelly underneath me.  I didn't feel like I was going to make it up this "easy" hill, yet I was determined.  What was holding me back?  Then I remembered...I was running all wrong.  I was using the front of my legs to do the work instead of using the back.  It is easy and intuitive to use the toes, calves, and hamstrings for running--but it is not best.  The larger muscles of the quadriceps and gluteal area as well as the heels provide the strength like a springboard to propel the body where it needs to go.  Using these parts is more difficult.  It requires intention and, for me at least, an unnatural shift.  But once I engage them, there is a clear difference.  I have power that is unmatched and tone displayed after months of using these muscles over and over again.

When I think about this scenario I am reminded of the importance of bringing God into my circumstances.  I can run all over the place in my own strength only to grow weary.  But when I do the intentional work of including God in my situation and employing the tools that He has given me, the load becomes lighter, His power is displayed, and growth ensues.

No comments:

Post a Comment